This post is going to be ridiculous. I’m ridiculous.
All I have been doing lately is playing doge 2048. It’s devouring my life. I dream of doges with googly eyes circling my head and I basically am incapable of coherent thought. Am I addicted? Maybe. I keep thinking about deleting the game so I can move on with my life but I don’t wannaaaaa.
Which probably means I have a problem.
The weather is wonderful here. Warm but not too hot. I need to get used to perpetual heat. And torrential heat. Does torrential work when you’re describing hot things? I’m using it anyway. Austin is rumored to be incredibly hot. Devastatingly hot. Terrifyingly hot? I’m not sure. And I’m not sure how I’ll deal with it when I get there, but I’m going. I bought my one-way ticket to Austin about a week ago, and the reality of my move is starting to set in.
Guys. GUYS. I’m going to grad school. It really finally feels like it’s happening. IT’S HAPPENING~!~!~!!!
This is my third round of researching graduate degrees and programs and working on pre-reqs and looking at schools and worrying about the cost and holy shit, I’m finally doing it. I have an assistantship, I have a plane ticket, and I have three suitcases to pack full of stuff.
Oh yeah, I’m flying in broke and also without almost anything.. Whatever. I guess it’ll be a great story to someday tell the kids, amirite?
In the midst of panicking and attempting to cull my closet (while accidentally buying a few more items of clothing I don’t need this weekend), I have become addicted to pinterest and looking at photos of women in long skirts with flowers braided in their hair.
Am I finally caving and admitting I love bohemian style? I’m daydreaming of a multicolored room with colors and patterns and tassels and hanging lanterns where I can lie around and finally eat bonbons in the luxury I deserve. Maybe I’ll try to do a poor-woman’s bohemian lair in wherever I eventually end up in Austin.
I’ll have to pack some tassels, I guess.
Yeahhhhh this type of post I usually do on Fridays, but the past three weeks have been so discombobulated, I’m tired of sitting on this as a draft. So, here we go! :
- I LOVE the idea of this cake and this tutorial.
But seriously, who is going to be patient enough to do this and not just eat the frosting?!
- Such a great quote:
“If you require any evidence that femininity can be more fierce and dangerous than masculinity, all you need to do is ask the average man to hold your handbag or a bouquet of flowers for a minute, and watch how far away he holds it from his body. Or tell him that you would like to put your lipstick on him and watch how fast he runs off in the other direction.”
– Julia Serano, Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman On Sexism And The Scapegoating of Femininity
This quote really speaks to me. I sometimes struggle with being ashamed of how feminine I can be. It’s true though, femininity is incredibly powerful!
- Look at the Blonds Spring 2014 collection:
SO FUTURISTIC! SO SPACEY! SO AWESOME!!
I love all of it. They remind me of my favorite Barbie growing up, 80’s space Barbie. SO COOOOOLLLLLL. There are way more pics of this collection here. I love all of them. Okay, maybe not the Tweety dress.
- I am currently reading through this post about Men’s Rights and it is very interesting and well-written. I plan on using it as a resource should I ever come across a MRA in the wild.
- I really really really want to make myself a Bat Wing shrug:
I mean really. ADORABLE.
- This week I am reading Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan. It is really dark, and reminds me a lot of Robin McKinley’s Deerskin. I wasn’t planning on finishing it… until Margo replied to me on twitter and now I feel kind of OBLIGATED. It IS super well-written and that part is enjoyable. We’ll see how I make it through.
Next up for me is Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie and I am SO EXCITED to read it. Though, I need to study for the GRE first… I am going to try and put off starting this book until Sunday… but knowing me, I’ll crack it open tonight in lieu of reviewing multiple choice questions.
- You guys realize that my goal is that my house looks somewhat like this, right?
- Sometimes I wish I had infinite money because, oh man, you guys, the deer figurines I could buy. But I also would totally invest in this kickstarter, because it looks super cool and Victoria Gannan’s art is beautiful. I might need to find an extra $30 in my budget to get a copy of this beautiful deck!
- My blog/image source of the week is The Vintage Cowboy over on tumblr.
These illustrations are all so cool and awesome! I’d love to have a print of one of them. I miss old book illustrations.
That’s it for this week!
Remember my “Stuff I want to buy” post ?
Well, this is a related post. This is ME reminding MYSELF that even though I FEEL LIKE I have been good and not gone impulse shopping and spent a ton of money on silly things that I want… that I have still gone shopping, albeit restrained shopping.
Things I have bought in the five weeks:
- A fantastic pair of fake rough crystal (?) earrings
- This beautiful kitschy purple cow creamer. She vaguely reminds me of the cookie jar my Grandma Mary had when I was growing up.
- Walt Disney’s Robin Hood on DVD/ Blu Ray. Disney’s Robin Hood happens to be my sister and I’s favorite childhood movie. It is probably the most worn-out of our collection of Disney VHS’s. (Followed closely by Bedknobs & Broomsticks!)
- Some antique dishes!
One of my dreams/desires for when I have my own, tiny, dishwasher-less studio, is to use stacks of mis-matching and beautiful china instead of a standard collection of plates. I picked up three of such plates this weekend and they are all beautiful! I love looking at racks of china, though I don’t have much use for fancy sets just yet.
- A little tigerseye tiger
(This is not the tiger I bought, I’ve had this chubby guy for awhile now.)
I found another stone tiger last week! My zodiac sign is the tiger, and tigers are also my favorite animal, so double-whammy on the awesomeness scale, right? (Although honestly I do not have many non-favorite animals….) I have a small collection of wee stone tigers (now three) and I love all of them in their teeny tiny goodness. He measures about 2 inches long and has a great little stone face! I haven’t bought a new tiger in ages and he fits in my slightly-Japan-themed corner of my room quite nicely.
- A lovely teal coffee table
You can barely see it under all the stuff piled on it! But it is TEAL and it was $14, and it fit in the back of Jessica’s car.
This table is perfect! It is a style I continually admire (a rectangular coffee table with a smaller, raised rectangle on one side) and it is the in-color right now. It almost matches my teal bookshelves and really matches my sense of style. I put a gold deer and a coaster on it, and it fits perfectly in the nook beside my bed.
- A new gray sweater. I found it at Goodwill for $2.49 and it is hella cute! Aww yeah, bargains!
- At least 10 milkshakes The only thing I have wanted lately is milkshakes.
Milkshakes! Peanut butter or chocolate or pineapple or raspberry. This is the summer of the milkshake. Hopefully this unhealthy craving diminishes soon or I’m going to have to increase my “bigger pants” budget.
In conclusion, SHUT UP, PART OF ME THAT FEELS LIKE SHE DOESN’T GET TO BUY STUFF.
Buying stuff isn’t all that there is. And you do enough of that already!